Dental Management for Children with special need
Daily life with a special-needs child presents many unique challenges, one of which is dental care management. Our goal is to assist you in maintaining good oral health for your child. We want to make this a positive experience for both you and your child.
- Children with special needs will benefit from sameness and continuity in their environment. A gradual and slow exposure to the dental office and staff is recommended.
- We offer parents and children the opportunity to tour our dental office prior to the first appointment, so that the child may ask questions, touch equipment, and get used to the office. We also recommend bringing comfort items, such as a blanket or a favorite toy.
- We will approach the autistic child in a quiet, non-threatening manner.
- We use a "tell-show-do" approach . Tell: We explain the procedure before it occurs. Show: Our assistants will show the instruments that will be used. Do: We slowly and gently start the procedure.
- We always praise and reinforce good behavior.